Sunday, April 12, 2015

Few more shows in the books

Finally off nights so got some sets in. Last week I was only able to do Winston's. It was pretty busy. The show was set up a little differently. I booked one headliner and had him pick 3 features. I had never seen any of them but they had some friends which is always good. I was working on new material with some old stuff sprinkled in. I remember doing pretty well and having a few people give me a thumbs up. Tuesday I grinded 3 mics as it was my 6 yr comedy anniversary. I started at the Comedy Palace, I hadn't performed on that open mic since I stopped teaching the class 6 or so months ago. I was a little worried as the manager had been hounding me about some paperwork. Luckily he avoided me as he the most passive person I've ever met. I basically just worked on some added material I added to the Home Depot joke. It went ok. I closed with a one liner, it went meh. Next set was at Lestat's where I was doing 10 to 12. I should truthfully have been able to do more. The show only had 4 people on it, with 2 doing 5-7. But whatever, I planned my set out and stuck to it which I rarely do. I messed up one of my first closer and pepppered out. I closed strong and have to say it was a decent set. Next was headlining Til Two. It was a strange show as a few of the comics were gay and the entire audience was gay males. Can't say I've ever performed out front of just men in the crowd, but all gay men was interesting. I did as best as I could. I guy after said I was funny and told me I should talk about Steven King when I talk about Maine. Oh ok. Thursday I did the Comedy Store. They were a pretty low energy, small crowd. I kind of had fun with it, and was extra self depricating. I wouldn't say I did great. But strangely after the show, 2 seperate groups of people said I was their favorite. Which is rare, and sometimes I do feel I do the best, but I didn't expect to hear it that night. It's always nice to be complimented, esp. when it's unexpected. Friday was Winston's. My set started off a little weird as I was co headlining, but the feature I went up after A. bombed very hard and B. brought most of the crowd. It's been awhile since I've seen someone have that many people support him and do that poorly. Anyways when I got up they were all talking. i kinda addressed it, but just plowed through, after a minute or two they weren't as loud. I wouldn't say I did great, but powered through some new jokes and had a decent time with the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment