Thursday, March 26, 2015

Started off being booed

Well last night was interesting. There was a pretty good/ young crowd. They all looked the same. They basically were all punk kids, all there for one or two people. This can be challenging. I was at 1st supposed to go up right after the main act of the night who was doing 15 minutes. That can always be weird when everyone is doing 6-8 minutes then someone does a lot more time. This wasn't the case as we had a lot of pop ins for big ole L.A. One of them being Dat Phan. I've seen him around town a lot lately. He's a very intense person. Constantly pacing and on his phone. Last night he was passing out Snickers ice cream bars. Anyways. The comic before me closed with a "joke" about a parent being happy their mentally challenged child got killed in a school shooting. So, as he says my name as he's starring at a piece of paper, a woman started booing. He was the host of the L.A. Comedy Store when I did it a few years back. Told the audience the open mic comics didn't have souls, feel free to throw things at us, boo, etc. So he's not the most professional, funny comic. But he is a paid regular in Hollywood, which makes me question comedy in general. I somewhat get being a dick as host of an open mic, but how can you not at least remember my first name. He bragged about spelling my name out phonetically, when I told him just to say my first name. Well after having a really subpar set, he takes out a piece of paper and just said my first name. Pretty bad. Anyways, I acknowledged the booing and she said she was booing the comic before me. I just said, you should follow him and boo in his face. She was drunk, but it was kind of funny to see her complaining to the door guy almost an hour later about how offensive and bad he was. My set went pretty well considering. The manager went in to watch which is very rare. I always feel an added pressure when he is in there to do jokes that I know work. But after I did some old shit, I transitioned into some new stuff to close. They all did pretty well. I closed with a newer joke that got a slight applause break which is always good. I was going to do my race track closer, but when that joke his pretty well, I didn't feel like running the light. The show went kinda long with all the pop ins, but I was still happy to be there. I even hung out a little bit after to chat with a couple comics. I really wanted to go up again. Sadly I have to work tonight and won't be able to go up. Have to wait until tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment