Monday, September 13, 2010

3 shows in the books

Had a busy weekend of shows. Saturday did a show at a biker bar on the outskirts of SD. I was somewhat looking forward to it, but wasn't expecting too much of a show. There was probably 40 or so people there, all older median age 45ish. There was a 70 plus year old dude, wasted, seemed he was the bar drunk and was celebrating his birthday. My buddy took the stage first and the dude walks up and grabs the mic. He starts mumbling nonsense, which the crowd could barely hear. My buddy starting dancing, but at that point the crowd was kinda lost. He tried doing jokes but it was all over at that point. While I was sitting down, one of the more established comics said, "I'm going to punch (insert name) when he gets off stage." He was serious, like not actually going to punch him, but was pissed he gave the mic to the dude.

Once my bud got off stage the other dude approached and told him to never give up the mic. While I agree he probably shouldn't have given him the mic, at the venue we were at and the fact it was the dude's birthday and everyone knew him there's really no reason it should matter. My buddy was like I don't care, and it got a little awkward as I was sitting right there. Finally they basically agreed to disagree. Some comics take things way too seriously. Like I agree every show is important, but to stress over a show with so little to come out of it is so strange to me. Like a dude that was complaining about letting the mic get taken is a regular at the 2 biggish clubs in San Diego, were at a dive bar in the middle of nowhere, what does it matter. Another dude that gets prime spots at the Comedy Store was stressing and rehearsing before he did his set. Maybe I need to take things a little more seriously, but until there's an agent or something could possibly come from my set I'm just going to try to have fun.

Another awkward part of the show was that he paid us, what I thought was all of us $20. He even gave a dude that just showed up and is totally insane $20. Well I make a joke about only getting $5 or something and everyone mentioned they got $20. Well when I get in the car the person I rode with was like "I can't believe they gave so and so 20$ and I only got $10." Well it turns out the booker gave everyone but the one female comic $20. The dudes kinda a drunk so I'm thinking it was a mistake, but if it wasn't that is kinda of messed up. I want to ask him, but I figure the gal would prefer I didn't.

Next I had a few open mics last night. First was the Comedy Store. I'm not sure if I'm making headway, but I have been put up last on the open mic 3 of the last 4 weeks. I told my buddy that I thought I making headway. He said 3 months ago him and my other buddy were told they were going to be passed and it hasn't happened yet. So guess wishful thinking goes out the window. I have a feeling if I do get passed to one of San Diego's best they may ask me to stop doing OBC as they did with the last guy that ran the show. I hope that it doesn't happen, as at this point I would have to decline. Winston's isn't the best stage time but I enjoy the challenge week in and week out, plus it's nice to be able to control the show and make a few bucks every week.

My set there went decent. I tried a new joke I wrote that day, and although I flubbed it up a bit I was happy with the outcome. The joke started as something else that I tought of in the middle of the night. But as I was writing it this whole new idea came out. When I don't drink I don't sleep and plenty of ideas come to mind. The whole drinking curb is still in affect. Taking steps to get my mind right. My main concern is with losing my memory. If I ever make it in comedy, I'll need to be doing 30 minutes, an hour, sometimes even longer. With as little times as I do my jokes, I'm going to need to be able to memorize that much stuff.

Next up was Blarney Stone. It was a pretty small crowd, mostly just comics. I got up there and there was a regular that was ready to heckle. Yelling out people arn't funny, blah blah. I messed with him a bit, but I more or less had to be mean, and that's really no fun. He's a regular at the bar so he had an advantage over me. I talked to him a bit, then got off stage. I hung out for a couple minutes after and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment